Friday, January 6, 2012

How about a little peace and quiet

We are at the start of a new year. The stock market has started to recover. Foreclosures are down and new unemployment insurance claims have fallen. Finally things are turning around. Or are they? 

If you heave a sigh of relief at the "good" news then you need to stop and ask, "Where do I get my security?". How will I feel when the news is "bad." Many people, like the stock market, are emotionally tossed to and fro by circumstances. (This is one of the reasons I suggest not reading the newspaper, especially here on the "left" coast.)

I don't know about you, but personally, life is difficult enough without letting the things over which I have no control, control me.

True peace can only come if our security is in God not changed circumstances. Be clear, I'm not suggesting we aren't impacted by the struggles of life. But what I am saying is, as we exercise faith in the God who is faithful we will not be emotionally overwhelmed by the struggles of life. Paul expressed it best when he stated:


Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:4–7 ESV).

I pray that this year will be typified by you experiencing God's peace in all circumstances. 

No comments:

Post a Comment